Conor McGregor reacts to “145-pound world champion” Max Holloway’s removal from UFC 226

By Tom Taylor - July 5, 2018

Last night, UFC 226 was dealt a crippling blow as featherweight champ Max Holloway was forced out of his co-main event featherweight title fight with challenger Brian Ortega. Holloway was pulled from the card, which goes down Saturday night in Las Vegas, Nevada, with “concussion-like symptoms.”

Conor McGregor

“Max’s team and UFC staff noticed Max was not normal since late last week,” Holloway’s management told MMAjunkie shortly after this unfortunate news was broken by ESPN. “This became obvious to many watching his interviews and public appearances the past few days.

“He was showing concussion-like symptoms before he even started his weight cut and was rushed to the ER on Monday where they admitted him overnight. Initial scans seemed okay, and he was released Tuesday afternoon, but symptoms still continued.

“Max fought with his team to continue with the fight. He showed some improvement over the next day but was still showing obvious symptoms. After open workouts, he crashed and was very hard to wake up. When he did, he had flashing vision and slurred speech.

Unsurprisingly, this news gutted the MMA community. Fighters and fans from all over the world took to social to share their disappointment with the news, and to wish the champion Holloway well.

Even Conor McGregor, the former UFC featherweight and lightweight champion, and one of the three men to defeat Holloway, took to Twitter to wish the champion well. McGregor even conceded that Max Holloway is now the true owner of the UFC featherweight title — a belt he never really lost.

Conor McGregor and Max Holloway fought in August of 2013. McGregor won the fight by unanimous decision, and later captured the featherweight title by knocking out Jose Aldo. McGregor was then stripped of the title for inactivity. Not long thereafter, Holloway, who had not lost since meeting McGregor, claimed the title with his own stoppage defeat of Aldo.

What do you think of Conor McGregor’s reaction to Max Holloway’s unfortunate withdrawal from UFC 226?

This article first appeared on BJPenn.com on 7/5/2018.

This article appeared first on BJPENN.COM


Topics:

Conor McGregor Max Holloway

Looks like your ad blocker is on.

×

We rely on ads to keep creating quality content for you to enjoy for free.

Please support our site by disabling your ad blocker.

Continue without supporting us

Choose your Ad Blocker

  • Adblock Plus
  • Adblock
  • Adguard
  • Ad Remover
  • Brave
  • Ghostery
  • uBlock Origin
  • uBlock
  • UltraBlock
  • Other
  1. In the extension bar, click the AdBlock Plus icon
  2. Click the large blue toggle for this website
  3. Click refresh
  1. In the extension bar, click the AdBlock icon
  2. Under "Pause on this site" click "Always"
  1. In the extension bar, click on the Adguard icon
  2. Click on the large green toggle for this website
  1. In the extension bar, click on the Ad Remover icon
  2. Click "Disable on This Website"
  1. In the extension bar, click on the orange lion icon
  2. Click the toggle on the top right, shifting from "Up" to "Down"
  1. In the extension bar, click on the Ghostery icon
  2. Click the "Anti-Tracking" shield so it says "Off"
  3. Click the "Ad-Blocking" stop sign so it says "Off"
  4. Refresh the page
  1. In the extension bar, click on the uBlock Origin icon
  2. Click on the big, blue power button
  3. Refresh the page
  1. In the extension bar, click on the uBlock icon
  2. Click on the big, blue power button
  3. Refresh the page
  1. In the extension bar, click on the UltraBlock icon
  2. Check the "Disable UltraBlock" checkbox
  3. Marque la casilla de verificación "Desactivar UltraBlock"
  1. Please disable your Ad Blocker

If the prompt is still appearing, please disable any tools or services you are using that block internet ads (e.g. DNS Servers).

Logo