Joe Rogan breaks down why Nate Diaz request for $20 mil. is unrealistic

By bjpenndotcom - January 4, 2017

2016 was a big year for MMA veteran Nate Diaz as he defeated Conor McGregor at UFC 196 on just two weeks notice. Following the incredible win over McGregor, Diaz once again stepped into the Octagon with the Irish superstar at UFC 202 in August, where the pair fought to a majority decision. Ultimately, McGregor was awarded the win, however the fight was an extremely close one, with many praising Diaz for the fight.

Nate Diaz

highest ufc ppv

Since then, there has been no word as to when Diaz will return to Octagon. Recently however with talks of an interim lightweight title fight heating up, Diaz’ name was thrown in the mix as someone who could compete for the interim lightweight title. Diaz responded to the reports by stating that he wouldn’t be answering calls from the UFC for anything less than $20 million.

During a recent episode of The Joe Rogan Experience, UFC commentator Joe Rogan broke down why that request is hard to justify, saying:

“Let’s break this down. Let’s say they do a million pay-per-view buys, which is top end. Only a few people have ever sold a million pay-per-view buys like Brock (Lesnar), Ronda (Rousey), Conor (McGregor) … that’s it. A million’s top of the food chain So a million pay-per-view view buys at 60 bucks, you’re taking one third off the bat for Nate. It’s really hard to justify someone [earning] $20 million for a fight. It’s going to be really hard. Conor’s like one of the only guys that can get that kind of money.”

“Here’s the thing, if Nate had a legit fight with someone other than Conor that was exciting. The problem is there’s no one else in the division that’s got that kind of marquee value. I think Nate is a fucking huge dog, especially now. After he beat Conor he was one of the biggest stars outside of that upper echelon pay-per-view level, but he’s not a world title holder right now.”

Joe Rogan

So far no word as to when Diaz will be returning to the Octagon. Stay tuned for updates as they become available!

This article appeared first on BJPENN.COM


Topics:

Nate Diaz

Looks like your ad blocker is on.

×

We rely on ads to keep creating quality content for you to enjoy for free.

Please support our site by disabling your ad blocker.

Continue without supporting us

Choose your Ad Blocker

  • Adblock Plus
  • Adblock
  • Adguard
  • Ad Remover
  • Brave
  • Ghostery
  • uBlock Origin
  • uBlock
  • UltraBlock
  • Other
  1. In the extension bar, click the AdBlock Plus icon
  2. Click the large blue toggle for this website
  3. Click refresh
  1. In the extension bar, click the AdBlock icon
  2. Under "Pause on this site" click "Always"
  1. In the extension bar, click on the Adguard icon
  2. Click on the large green toggle for this website
  1. In the extension bar, click on the Ad Remover icon
  2. Click "Disable on This Website"
  1. In the extension bar, click on the orange lion icon
  2. Click the toggle on the top right, shifting from "Up" to "Down"
  1. In the extension bar, click on the Ghostery icon
  2. Click the "Anti-Tracking" shield so it says "Off"
  3. Click the "Ad-Blocking" stop sign so it says "Off"
  4. Refresh the page
  1. In the extension bar, click on the uBlock Origin icon
  2. Click on the big, blue power button
  3. Refresh the page
  1. In the extension bar, click on the uBlock icon
  2. Click on the big, blue power button
  3. Refresh the page
  1. In the extension bar, click on the UltraBlock icon
  2. Check the "Disable UltraBlock" checkbox
  3. Marque la casilla de verificación "Desactivar UltraBlock"
  1. Please disable your Ad Blocker

If the prompt is still appearing, please disable any tools or services you are using that block internet ads (e.g. DNS Servers).

Logo