Report | Two massive welterweight fights in the works for March’s UFC 209 event

By Chris Taylor - December 12, 2016

Two massive welterweight rematches are apparently in the works for March’s UFC 209 event in Las Vegas.

Nick Diaz photo

Last month following his UFC 205 majority decision draw against welterweight champion Tyron Woodley, top 170-pound contender Stephen Thompson revealed to BJPENN.com that a rematch between himself and “The Chosen One’ was already in the works for February or March of 2017.

Well, according to BJPENN.com’s Chris Taylor, that welterweight title fight rematch is being slated to headline UFC 209 in Las Vegas on March 4.

In addition to that highly anticipated rematch, Taylor also revealed that former Strikeforce welterweight champion Nick Diaz is being targeted to return at the event against former UFC welterweight title holder Robbie Lawler.

Nick Diaz (26-9 MMA) has not stepped foot in the octagon since suffering a decision loss to Anderson Silva in the main event of UFC 183 in January 2015. That fight was eventually overturned to a no-contest after “The Spider” tested positive for performance enhancing drugs. In addition, Diaz tested positive for marijuana metabolites following the bout and was subsequently served an 18-month suspension.

Nick Diaz vs. Anderson Silva

Meanwhile, Robbie Lawler was last seen in action at July’s UFC 201 in Atlanta, where he suffered a first-round knockout loss to Tyron Woodley surrendering his welterweight title in the process. Prior to the setback, “Ruthless” had won five-straight fights which included victories over former champions Johny Hendricks and Carlos Condit.

What do you think of the two welterweight fights being targeted to headline UFC 209 on March 4 in Las Vegas? Sound off PENN Nation!

This article appeared first on BJPENN.COM


Topics:

Nick Diaz UFC 209

Looks like your ad blocker is on.

×

We rely on ads to keep creating quality content for you to enjoy for free.

Please support our site by disabling your ad blocker.

Continue without supporting us

Choose your Ad Blocker

  • Adblock Plus
  • Adblock
  • Adguard
  • Ad Remover
  • Brave
  • Ghostery
  • uBlock Origin
  • uBlock
  • UltraBlock
  • Other
  1. In the extension bar, click the AdBlock Plus icon
  2. Click the large blue toggle for this website
  3. Click refresh
  1. In the extension bar, click the AdBlock icon
  2. Under "Pause on this site" click "Always"
  1. In the extension bar, click on the Adguard icon
  2. Click on the large green toggle for this website
  1. In the extension bar, click on the Ad Remover icon
  2. Click "Disable on This Website"
  1. In the extension bar, click on the orange lion icon
  2. Click the toggle on the top right, shifting from "Up" to "Down"
  1. In the extension bar, click on the Ghostery icon
  2. Click the "Anti-Tracking" shield so it says "Off"
  3. Click the "Ad-Blocking" stop sign so it says "Off"
  4. Refresh the page
  1. In the extension bar, click on the uBlock Origin icon
  2. Click on the big, blue power button
  3. Refresh the page
  1. In the extension bar, click on the uBlock icon
  2. Click on the big, blue power button
  3. Refresh the page
  1. In the extension bar, click on the UltraBlock icon
  2. Check the "Disable UltraBlock" checkbox
  3. Marque la casilla de verificación "Desactivar UltraBlock"
  1. Please disable your Ad Blocker

If the prompt is still appearing, please disable any tools or services you are using that block internet ads (e.g. DNS Servers).

Logo