Alexander Gustafsson announces retirement following loss to Anthony Smith

By Chris Taylor - June 1, 2019

Former UFC title challenger Alexander Gustafsson has announced his retirement from mixed martial arts following his loss to Anthony Smith at UFC Stockholm.

Alexander Gustafsson

The 32-year-old, Gustafsson (18-6 MMA) suffered a fourth round submission loss to Smith in today’s headliner (watch that here).

The loss marked Gustafsson’s second in a row, as he was previously defeated by Jon Jones at UFC 232 via third round knockout.

“What can I say… The show is over guys.” Gustafsson said while putting down his gloves and proceeding to walk out of the octagon.

Alexander Gustafsson will go down as one of the greatest light heavyweight fighters of all time.

‘The Mauler’ finishes his career with an 18-6 record in mixed martial arts, going 10-6 under the UFC banner.

The powerful Swede challenged for the UFC light heavyweight strap on three different occasions, but ultimately came up short to Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier in those contests.

During his illustrious career, Alexander Gustafsson scored notable wins over James Te Huna, Matt Hamill, Vladimir Matyushenko, Thiago Silva, Shogun Rua, Jimi Manuawa, Jan Blachowicz and Glover Teixeira.

Thank you for the memories Gus! It was a pleasure watching you perform inside the octagon.

What was your favorite Alexander Gustafsson fight or memory? Sound off in the comments section PENN Nation!

June 1, 2019

 

 

 

This article appeared first on BJPENN.COM


Topics:

Alexander Gustafsson UFC UFC Stockholm

Looks like your ad blocker is on.

×

We rely on ads to keep creating quality content for you to enjoy for free.

Please support our site by disabling your ad blocker.

Continue without supporting us

Choose your Ad Blocker

  • Adblock Plus
  • Adblock
  • Adguard
  • Ad Remover
  • Brave
  • Ghostery
  • uBlock Origin
  • uBlock
  • UltraBlock
  • Other
  1. In the extension bar, click the AdBlock Plus icon
  2. Click the large blue toggle for this website
  3. Click refresh
  1. In the extension bar, click the AdBlock icon
  2. Under "Pause on this site" click "Always"
  1. In the extension bar, click on the Adguard icon
  2. Click on the large green toggle for this website
  1. In the extension bar, click on the Ad Remover icon
  2. Click "Disable on This Website"
  1. In the extension bar, click on the orange lion icon
  2. Click the toggle on the top right, shifting from "Up" to "Down"
  1. In the extension bar, click on the Ghostery icon
  2. Click the "Anti-Tracking" shield so it says "Off"
  3. Click the "Ad-Blocking" stop sign so it says "Off"
  4. Refresh the page
  1. In the extension bar, click on the uBlock Origin icon
  2. Click on the big, blue power button
  3. Refresh the page
  1. In the extension bar, click on the uBlock icon
  2. Click on the big, blue power button
  3. Refresh the page
  1. In the extension bar, click on the UltraBlock icon
  2. Check the "Disable UltraBlock" checkbox
  3. Marque la casilla de verificación "Desactivar UltraBlock"
  1. Please disable your Ad Blocker

If the prompt is still appearing, please disable any tools or services you are using that block internet ads (e.g. DNS Servers).

Logo